Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A Recipe Review - Black Bean Chicken Quesadillas

I've been stuck in a rut the last several weeks when it comes to new lunch ideas. I think everyone is tired of sandwiches and hot dogs, so I decided to try something different.
I used frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts, and boiled them straight from the freezer. It worked perfectly, and the chicken was incredibly tender. We didn't have any salsa, so we had to settle for the picante sauce we had left in the refrigerator. It worked well, but the next time I make these, I will use salsa as I think it will increase the flavor and texture.
We used a mixture of shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheeses, and they tasted great! I think I will try a pepper jack cheese next time, to give them a little more kick.
The key to the recipe is the cinnamon. I discovered the use of cinnamon in dishes like this when I was cooking a recipe for Chi Chi's Restaurant style chimichangas I found several years ago. I was surprised to learn that the seasoning I could taste but couldn't quite recognize all those years ago was cinnamon. When combined with the salsa, and other ingredients, the flavor is changed just enough that it is hard to recognize. If you want to give your Mexican dishes a little zing, try a little cinnamon. You'll be amazed at the flavor it adds.
I think I will dig out my recipe for Chi Chi's chimichangas, and post it for you next.
Black Bean Chicken Quesadillas-
Rating - 4 Smiles
http://www.ddhfavors.com/store/FCrecipe.asp?iCID=1&r=4&Category_Name=Appetizers

No comments: