Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Chi Chi's Chicken Chimichangas

When I was in high school, one of my favorite restaurants was Chi Chi's Mexican Restaurant. They had several scrumptious meals on their menu, but my all-time favorite meal, and the one I ordered most often was their chicken chimichangas.
The chimichangas were delicious! They were filled with the most flavorful chicken, fried to a golden brown (I know, not the healthiest meal in the world), and topped with a green sauce that was delicious. I can still taste them...
Unfortunately, Chi Chi's was forced to close all of their restaurants back in 2004 due to a lethal Hepatitis A outbreak at one of their Pennsylvania stores in 2003. So, I was delighted to discover that someone had created a copycat recipe, that tastes incredibly similar to the original. Every time I make this recipe, I opt to fry the chimichangas in a little olive oil, rather than spray them with cooking spray and bake. This gives the shell that all important crunch that chimichangas are known for. You will still get a crunch by baking them, they will just be a little softer.
If you try this recipe, please post a comment and let me know what you think. :)
Chicken Chimichangas-
Rating - 4 Smiles
http://www.ddhfavors.com/store/FCrecipe.asp?r=5&categoryID=Poultry&Category_Name=Poultry

No comments: