Thursday, August 7, 2008

Easy Chicken Teriyaki Stir-Fry

Dave and I love Asian inspired food. The problem with many of the dishes is the complexity needed, to make them taste truly authentic. With 2 kids, a busy business, and a husband with a varying work shift, I need to focus on recipes with simple ingredients, that can be cooked in a short amount of time, and still taste great. This recipe fit that bill and more.
I made a few variations to the recipe, to suit our tastes, but it still tasted wonderful. I boiled the chicken in a little garlic and onion, before transferring it to the separate pan with oil. I also added 1/2 tsp. of soy sauce to the pan, to give the chicken a little more flavor. When the chicken was cooked, I resumed the recipe, but I added 1/4 C. of soy sauce instead of the half cup it asks for, and added an extra tablespoon of sugar. I don't care for an overpowering soy taste, so I let Dave put all the soy sauce he wants on his food, after it's cooked. I also use the low sodium version to cut down on the salt a little. I also added a package of frozen vegetables that contained water chestnuts, and pea pods, etc., instead of using the broccoli and celery it called for. This package of frozen vegetables had all of those same vegetables, and it was on sale for $1.00.
This recipe was simple, and delicious. Even my oldest child raved about it, and she isn't fond of Asian food.
I served it over fried rice, which I also made that day. If you have tried to make fried rice at home, and failed, there is a trick to it. Cook your rice a few hours ahead of time, and refrigerate it. If you start with cold white rice, it will fry right for you every time No more sticky mess! I didn't have time to cook it that far ahead, so I cooked it right before I started cooking the chicken, and popped it into the freezer. It was in there for about 45 minutes, and that worked like a charm. I have also posted the fried rice recipe I used in the links section, so you can give it a try.
Easy Chicken Teriyaki Stir-Fry-
Rating - 4 Smiles
http://chicken.betterrecipes.com/easy-fresh-chicken-teriyaki-stir-fry.html
http://chinesefood.about.com/od/ricefried/r/basicfriedrice.htm

No comments: