Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Breakfast Hash Browns, Bacon, and Egg Bake

I have a collection of those little Pillsbury recipe books you see at the checkout stand in the grocery store, and let me tell you, there are some great recipes in them. My latest recipe was taken from the Pillsbury recipe book, "Crescents, Biscuits, & More," and it wasn't half bad.
With the exception of substituting Pillsbury pizza dough for the crescent rolls (YUMMY!) I made the recipe according to the instructions, and I think with a few minor tweaks, it could be a 4 smile recipe.
First of all, I would suggest cooking the potatoes in a little olive oil with salt and pepper before adding them to the casserole dish. I know this will add to the amount of time it takes to cook the recipe, but I think it will help the texture of the potatoes. I don't like mushy, flavorless potatoes, so I think browning them will help them keep their shape, while releasing the flavor of the peppers and onions at the same time.
I also plan to add sausage, and jalapenos to the recipe next time. The casserole was a little on the bland side for me, so I'm going to try and spice it up a bit.
The recipe calls for 6 eggs, but next time I will use egg substitute to cut down on some of the fat and cholesterol.
My favorite thing about breakfast casserole recipes is that you can easily make them your own by adding the ingredients your family likes. I am going to make this recipe again next week, with the changes I mentioned, and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Breakfast Hash Browns, Bacon, and Egg Bake-
Rating - 3 Smiles
http://www.ddhfavors.com/store/FCrecipe.asp?r=6&categoryID=Meats&Category_Name=Meats

No comments: