Friday, September 14, 2007

A recipe Review - Fresh Basil Pesto

Ok, so I had all this fresh basil from my garden and had no idea what to do with it, when a friend suggested I make a pesto sauce. At that point, I had never even tried pesto sauce, as for some reason many green foods just didn't appeal to me (I was 24 before I would even touch guacamole! I love it by the way), so the thought of making a pesto sauce never entered my mind. But, not wanting my basil to go to waste, I thought what the heck, and hit the internet in search of a recipe.

As I was making this recipe, my daughter passed by me in the kitchen, and made her usual yuck face that she makes every time I try something new that she thinks looks less than appealing. I have to admit, deep down inside, I was making the same face as I saw this green goop forming in my chopper. But I also have to admit that nothing smells better than fresh basil and garlic being chopped together.

So, I finished chopping the green goop, and placed it in the refrigerator to chill while I made the rest of our meal; spaghetti and meatballs, and garlic bread. My husband was the only one brave enough to try it, and he said he liked it. But, if you know my husband, you know that if he really likes something, he goes back for more. He not only didn't go back for more of the pesto, he didn't even finish what was on his plate. So, I think he was trying not to hurt my feelings.
All in all, the recipe wasn't bad, but it really wasn't that good either. I don't know if something was missing, or if that is how pesto is supposed to taste. Either way, it's not something I care to make again anytime soon.

Fresh Basil Pesto -
Rating - 2 Smiles
http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/001329fresh_basil_pesto.php

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here is a recipe for pesto that is awesome.

4 Cups fresh basil
2 Cups fresh spinach
1 Cup fresh Italian Parsley
8 Cloves of Garlic
1 Cup of Fresh Pecorino Ramono cheese or Fresh Parmesan not the stuff in the can.
1/2 Cup Pinenuts or Walnuts
8oz. or 1 Cup of Extra Virgin olive oil.

Put all of the ingredients except for the olive oil in a food processor. Blend until it is well chopped. Then add the olive oil through the top while the food processor is running add it slowly not all at once since you are making a emulsion. After you have finished adding the oil you are done.

Now to make something with it. Well take 1 cup of the pesto and put it in to a sauce pan on medium heat. Next add 1 pint of heavy whipping cream to the mixture and mix. Let the liquid reduce be half it should take about 5 minutes. After your sauce has reduced add your angle hair pasta or any type of pasta that you like. To kick it up a little add 1/2 cup of fresh Parmesan to the sauce when it is reducing and you have a pesto alfrado.